Castle of Monemvasia. A living part of greek history
The peninsula that is built was named Minoa in Minoan period.
Because it was usually attacked of Slaves the Greek of Laconia fortified it and used it
as a port and shelter. In 1147 repulsed the Norman’s attacks and in 1249 it was
subordinated after sieges of three years, Goulemos Bileardouinos made everything
to return it to Byzantium in 1263.
For four years it passed to the authority of Pope later the Venetians and finally the
Turkish until July 23 1821.